Saturday, June 8, 2013

Karma, Karma, Karma Chamelon


It was a fine birthday celebration for Scott Maynes, who brought in his special day with a the low round of the week, a fine 35.

Thirty one golfers enjoyed very good conditions, although there seemed to be some disparity in how those conditions translated into performance. For example, there were groups like Scott’s that lit it up, with foursome scores of 35, 37, 37, and 37. And then there were the slew of high 40 and low 50 scores.

I have had the good fortune to have the low round a few times at Mens’ Night. Not as often as some…but on occasion I get going and card a 36 on days when others can’t get below 37 or 38. I also have had the occasional problem round where I flirt with 50.

Until Wednesday, I never have had the experience of scoring the highest round of the evening. With 30 other guys playing, my 52 gave me the title of “most honest golfer” for the night. I did get excited a bit when I saw another 52 come in…but that feeling dissipated quickly. You see Charlie McNabb did not triple bogey eight as I did, so my score held up on a countback.

After being in the low pot the first three weeks, and on two of the weeks being paired with the highest score of the night, the situation was reversed.  After golfing with and then being matched up with a guy who shot a 61 the first night, the situation was reversed. My only hope was that I would get paired with one of those kind-hearted older gentlemen who come out for fun and who wouldn’t think of pointing out the fact that my scores weren’t going to help their scores win any skins. Thankfully, I was paired with Robin Kimpinski, a man who would not dream of drawing attention to another or making a big deal of who scored what. Thanks to his parents for helping him become the caring and supportive man he is today. I often said if he was not in the insurance business, Robin could be either a therapist or maybe a priest.

I would say that it was ironic to score the way I did, two weeks after suggesting in a previous blog that Jason Hunter would shoot a 51.  Karma sucks.

Of the thirty-one golfers, only a few cashed in on any holes. Three skins were won, by Luke Funk and Jason Gorrell ($41.50 on #2), Neuf and Cubby ($50.50 on #8), and Sport on his own ($64.50 on #6). Brad Swereda was closest on #5 while Keith Booth was closest on #9. Keith Martin had the lone deuce of the evening, collecting $46.50 for his efforts.

Brad Benton continued his assault on the record books by recording another birdie for the ringer board, bringing his cumulative score to -7. He now only needs to lock in scores for holes #4, 8, and 9. I should mention that the record books are only a couple of years old...but they are still the records.

Well that’s it for this morning. I have to go and get some gas for my cart for today’s Lions’ Club tournament. Hopefully I will see a few of you guys there. I will not see you at our next Mens’ Night, because our divisional recognition event is the same evening. I will likely be sitting there, watching as the long-serving and retiring members of my school division are acknowledged, wishing I was golfing. What does it say about me, after the torture of that 52 last week, that I still want to be out there again? Like most golfers, I have those two key qualities necessary to enjoy the game…a really short memory…and the belief, however delusional, that next week will be when I light it up.
 
One additional thing to note...when searching for a picture for this week's blog, I typed in the phrase "karma sucks" into the Google search bar. I didn't exactly find what I was looking for...forgetting the Karma is also a girl's name.

No comments:

Post a Comment