Thursday, May 30, 2013

Rain, rain, go away!

I am writing this blog on an evening in which I am contemplating building an ark. I am home because my daughter’s ball practice is cancelled tonight…two days after a game was postponed because of rain. I am looking at the online weather reports and hoping we don’t get the weather that is being forecasted. I am not overly optimistic.

I should quickly apologize. Lately, this blog seems to be more about weather than golf. I know that the crappy conditions outside aren't life or death for me. I recognize also that there are people whose livelihood depends on good weather.  But for many of us, golf is an important part of that work / life balance. During the summer, I look forward to Wednesdays more than Fridays.  Many of us are happiest when Mens’ Night is warm and sunny, sad when it is rainy, and grateful on nights like last night when at least you could at least dress warmly and play.

I mistakenly said during March break that I would try to stop complaining about the weather. Unfortunately, that was nine weeks ago. This prolonged poor weather is getting old fast. I can’t even remember the last time I golfed on a really nice day. I think that it may have been early September of last year…which was eight months ago.

Despite the les than stellar conditions, 29 guys showed up for Mens’ Night this week. The best thing about the increased numbers is that it results in more carry-overs for skins, leading to bigger prizes down the road. With a higher number of players, only three skins were won – Rob Anderson / Jason Gorrel ($20 on #1), Neuf / Sport ($20 on #5), and Dan Stokes / Terry McTavish ($20 on #7).  Neuf split the deuce pot with Darcy Kowalchuk and Brad Benton. Neuf and Jamie McCutchin were closest on #5 and #9 respectively.

I have to sign off now. My dog needs to go for a walk. Fortunately, it will be quick. She hates the rain too.

Don’t forget that the Lions’ tournament is next weekend. It should be a fun day. I checked the long range forecast and it isn’t supposed to snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment