Friday, June 28, 2013

Let There Be Golf!

 
Maybe ten years ago, I was part of a foursome that did a Heart and Stroke fundraiser called the Longest Day of Golf. Darcy Kowalchuk, Scott Maynes, Darren Rozdeba, and I teed off around 5:45 am and played until 10:13 pm. We enjoyed sun, light rain, high winds, perfect calm, and then more of each in different sequences over 101 holes. It was a good day.

Why am I referencing this? Well...I missed Mens' Night this week because of the Shoal Lake grad. I plan on making up for it tomorrow. It was my second miss in three weeks. The forecast for tomorrow calls for sunny skies and highs around 26 Celsius. I hope to be at the dump at 9:00 am when it opens...and at the first tee by 10:00 am.

For the 33 gentlemen fortunate to make it to Mens' Night, it was an evening of nice weather...good temperatures but a bit windy...the standard for this part of the province. I was asked by someone from out of town if it was always windy here. I joked that it was calm once, back in May of 2007. The irony is I am now looking at boats gliding across the almost dead calm lake. Really, when you think of it...who cares if it is windy. Last Sunday it was pretty calm as the buckets of rain spilled down upon us and into basements across town. If it is sunny and 26 tomorrow, it can blow as much as it wants.

Back to the recent Mens' Night. Skins went on three holes. Winners included Dick Edgeworth / Dale Martin ($35 on #1), Robin Kimpinski / Troy Chwaluk ($48.50 on #2), and Mike Susinksi / Dale Nicholson ($20 on #9). Mr. Nicholson also was the lone winner of the deuce pot, earning $49.50 for his two. Closest to the pins were Dale Martin on #5 and Tom Gibson on #9. Robin posted two birdies on the ringer board, moving into a tie for second at -5.

Next Wednesday appears promising for a couple of reasons. The forecast looks awesome. There are some big skins including #4 which will likely be around $110. And I will be on vacation…which means no work on Thursday. Friday should be fun as well with the annual Lakeside Golf Course Fundraiser.

Remember, if you are drinking, driving is ill advised. In fact, I would even urge caution when putting.

No comments:

Post a Comment