Thursday, May 3, 2012

The same but different


“Same but different” was the theme of the evening.  This is fitting given golf is a game of sameness but differences.  We all use clubs, but different clubs.  The balls we play look similar but they are of different brands and are marked with different numbers and logos.  We start out with similar aspirations but not all of us feel the same way at the end of the round.

In terms of the “same but different” theme yesterday evening…let me present you with a few examples.  Firstly, the weather was similar (not that warm) but the turnout was different (29 golfers instead of 16).   I still had extra clothing (the same) but this time I wore long underwear instead of two pairs of pants (different).  It rained during the day but was clear during the evening (different).  However, we still got wet (the same) when the sprinklers poured down on us as we putted on our final two holes. 

The game was the same…but the experiences of the guys who played were different.  Point in case, the elderly gentleman who shot a 38 felt pride and joy while the slightly younger man who staggered in with a 58 felt shame and sorrow.

We had two Blakes (the same) but their fate took divergent paths (different).  Young Blake Cramer basked in the spotlight, scoring a birdie on #3 to win a skin for himself and Robin Kimpinski.  Meanwhile, older Blake Hunter actually lost some skin as he retrieved his broken three wood from the trees just in front of the sixth tee box…after hitting his fifth shot into the trees.

Even some individuals experienced the same but different phenomena.  Scott Maynes, for example, had different results, and emotional experiences, while completing the same activity (putting).  He showed tremendous patience and poise as he putted in for birdie on #6.  That was after displaying little of either after a three putt on #2…followed by the launch of an angry 60 foot putt which tore across the green and rough before knocking the hub cap off of a moving cart.  This actually happened…six of us witnessed it.

I saw two people hit the green on the par 3 fifth hole (the same).  The difference was how they got there.  Jason Gorrell did it by teeing off from the fifth tee box.  Brett Griffin did by teeing off the eight tee box.  As a few of lined up putts on the right side of the green, his errant tee shot landed beside us before coming to rest in the rough.

Also, we introduced a new addition to the pairing of players by introducing the dummy card.  In an amazing stoke of coincidence, Neuf got paired with it.  Wait…that doesn’t fit with this week's theme.

In terms of the actual golf, it was a nice evening for both Chris Kimpinski and the previously mentioned Blake Cramer.  Chris had closest to the hole on #5, won the deuce pot, and split a $64 skin with Theoren Hunter.  Blake was closest on #9 and he cashed in for two skins totalling $40 with Robin.  The fourth skin of the evening was won by the duo of Luke Funk and Maynes.

You may note a trend in my blog entries…with the same guys being referenced on a regular basis.  The reason is simple.  I write what I know.  If I don't receive field reports, I am left with talking about what happened in my group.  Please help me make this blog more inclusive.  If Ronnie Susinski makes a bad shot, I want to hear about it.  If the normally Zen-like John Gill goes ballistic over a missed putt, let me know. If Milt goes a round without talking to himself, call me.

Also, don't forget if you comment on the blog, you are entered into a draw for a free drink at the next Mens' Night.  I mentioned this before but I think I might need to clarify what I mean.  If you see me on the street and say, like Robin did, "Hey Stephen, nice blog"...that is not what I mean by comment.  What I am actually doing is inviting you to type comments below the weekly posting on the website.

2 comments:

  1. Steven, if i gave you a pail next wed do you think you could get me some worms out of those extra large divots? Fishing season opens this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally a comment. Too bad it is anonymous. No free drink entry - SD

    ReplyDelete