Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Night of the Neuf

A former NBA player by the name of Alvin Attles tells a story of the time that he and Wilt Chamberlain combined to score 117 points in one NBA game.  Wilt scored 100 and Al scored 17. Well, last night Neuf and I combined to shoot 84.  Neuf had a 34 and I had...well...I had the rest.

Neuf and I played together and our games could not have been more juxtaposed.  He was nearly perfect and I was almost perfectly terrible.  He targeted pins with uncanny precision while I targeted trees after unmanly decisions.  Neuf got four birdies and I had four triples.  He could not miss a putt while I struggled not to three putt.   The guys playing with us looked at Neuf with envy and awe.  Meanwhile, they averted their gaze as I was about to strike the ball in fear of catching whatever I had. Our games even ended with completely opposite emotions.  Neuf cursed aloud after missing a three foot birdie on nine while I breathed a sigh of relief to finish the same hole with a par.

I guess if it is any consolation, my four triples were honest and not Mens' Night maxes.  Like any golfer, I need at least one positive take-away.  My other take away is that karma sucks.  After a few references in previous blogs to Blake Hunter's struggle to break the 50 mark, I carded that same score.  Congratulations to Blake for going under this week.  Perfect timing by the way.

The interesting thing was the conditions were absolutely perfect.  Warm and sunny with almost no trace of wind.  Birdies abounded and many of the 44 golfers carded season low scores.  Personally, I don't think good weather works for me.  My two rounds near forty occurred during our sub zero rounds earlier this year.

Skins went on four holes, including #2 (Brad Swereda and Blake Hunter - $57), #6 (Brad Benton and Joel Ostash - $67), #7 (Luke Funk and Wayne Chegwin - $22), and #8 (Brad and Blake again for $57).  The $66 deuce pot was split by Wes Arnfinson and Gab Huberdeau.

Milt was closest to the pin on #5, winning a golf shirt from Manitoba Hydro for his effort.  The mighty Neuf won a free steak from Susinski Farms and Kimp Services for sticking it close on #9.

Other low scores included Brad with 35, Milt and Wes with 38, Ron Susinski, Scott Maynes and Dale Martin with 39. Also noteworthy was Luke Funk's three birdie in a row streak on holes 6, 7, and 8.  Good job Mr. Funk.

By the way, sorry to my cart partner Darcy for ending up being my scoring partner.  You had a nice 41 in any case. For what it is worth, there were 11 guys with scores of 50 or worse.  Somehow, that doesn't make me feel any better about my round.

No comments:

Post a Comment