Friday, July 9, 2021

No Laying Up on Men's Night

 

How do you approach Men's Night golf? Are you slow, steady and analytical or do you grip it and rip it?

Men's Night is an interesting time for golf. Some people play a composed game while focusing primarily on their score. Others play a little more freely, favouring the big shot over the safe play. Two things seem to be true regarding these varied approaches. Firstly, whatever you choose to do is right for you. Secondly, whatever you choose to do will cause someone to question your choice.

My personal game on a typical Wednesday transitions from Door #1 to #3 from 2:00 to 9:00 pm. I start off taking my time and thinking about my shots before getting a little looser as the day progresses. Usually my end game is a hybrid of caution and aggression. Of course, when I hit a driver on the first hole, I hear how I shouldn't hit that club there. Then when I lay up on #7, I am asked why I don't go for the green in two. 

On Wednesday, we had 34 golfers which seems to be our weekly average this past month. Skins went on five holes. Winners included Rhys Lanouette / Phil Ostash ($41.25 on #1), Robin Kimpinski / Cubby Bartram ($41.25 on #3), Scott Maynes / Theoren Hunter ($21.25 on #4), Alexander Maddess / Kendal Koroscil ($41.25) on #5, and Reegan Kominko / Noah Street ($21.25 on #9).

Closest to #5 was Charles McKay and closest on #9 was Sonny Blackbird. Only Sonny converted his birdie and he shared the $63.75 deuce pot with Nathan Maynes.

If you didn't get your cheque for a prize they will be on the board next week. Usually I go in as soon as my round ends and wait for an hour or so as people slowly turn in cards. Then I do the prizes and drive around the course and deliver cheques to anyone who is still around.

This week I took a different approach. As I finished nine, five kind gentlemen from Wayway allowed me to join them and we played a nine hole scramble. At the end of the day, I played 50 holes in total.

The weekend has a great forecast. Whether you plan on golfing or something else, have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment