Friday, July 30, 2021

Counting Holes Isn't Everything

 

When I do this Men's Night update quickly, I often write a little bit more than just the results. Such is the case this week. If this doesn't appeal to you skip to the last three paragraphs.

This image at the start of this blog is an excellent representation of why most of us golf. It is quite accurate for me other than the walking down the fairway part. I only walk on the golf course when my cart breaks down during the round.

Take this last Wednesday for instance. As is often the case, I got out at 2:00 pm and was joined by three friends. Another joined us for the Men's Night round. When that was finished, we joined five other guys for two-man best ball. We played until it was too dark to see. 

Throughout the afternoon and evening, there were both good and bad shots and small amounts of money changed hands to pay off wagers. At the end of the day, it didn't matter what your score was or how you played. The important was that we got to hang out with some friends on a nice day in July doing something that we enjoyed.

Last year I started tracking the holes that I played. As of Wednesday, I have 1239 holes over 47 times golfing. At the same time last year I had 1125 holes and finished with 1818. While my goal isn't to get to a certain number, it is to play as much as I can. We spend our long and cold winters looking outside wishing the weather was better. We need to take advantage of it when it is good. Also, I don't want to make the hole tracking a competition, especially given that Scott Martin has 1454 holes in as of today.

One noteworthy thing about my 1239 holes this year, only 18 were played on my own. Two times I went out and played nine. On both occasions I found it a bit boring and wished I was playing with someone else.  I tried playing an extra ball but that just seemed to extend the boredom.

On Wednesday I played 51 holes for the day. There were 25 others who joined me for the official Men's Night round. The vast majority of those out played a bit either before or after Men's Night

Skins went on four holes. Jason Gorrell / Noah Street won $20.00 for #4. Jason's win was assisted by his chip in eagle on the par 5 hole. Other winners included Stephen David / Mike Susinski ($39.38) on #7 and Robin Kimpinski / Ron Sopko ($20.00 on #8, $85.63 on # 9).

Closest to the pins were Scott Maynes on #5 and Robin Kimpinski on #9. Both scored twos on the evening to share the $50.75 deuce pot with three others - Cubby Bartram, Brad Benton, and Pete Ostash.

The ringer board ends on August 25 so those involved need to start thinking about locking up some scores. Rob Kimpinski added another birdie to get his season total to -7 with three holes to record. Brad Benton is one stroke behind at -6 while Darcy Kowalchuk and Scott Maynes are both at -5.

No comments:

Post a Comment