Sunday, July 28, 2019

Shot Tracers and Regular Golfers


Image result for swing tracer bad shot
This evening I will do the Men's Night update first and follow it with my weekly musing.

Last Wednesday, we had 38 golfers.  Skins went on three holes.  Winners included Austin Hunter / Blake Cramer ($23.75 on #2, $$23.75 on #7) and Dale Martin / Norm Verboom ($23.75 on #6).
Closest to the pins were Keith Martin on #5 and Phil Ostash on #9.  Neither they nor anyone else made a birdie so the deuce pot went unclaimed.

On Saturday, we had the Horse Race tournament.  It was a beautiful day with almost 40 participants.  Congratulation to the winners - Scott Maynes first flight, Austin Hunter second flight, and Jason Gorrell third flight.

Now I will switch gears and write about something that I have been thinking about recently.  I enjoy watching golf but watch very little of it when the weather is nice.  The exception is the majors.  When I do watch, I like the full experience which includes all the technological things the networks add.  For all of the technology used in golf broadcasting, I most enjoy the shot tracer.

In the last week, I saw several shots in Shoal Lake that would be interesting on the shot tracer.  Shots that if tracked would leave the TV screen on the left, right, or top sides.  Some of these errant shots came from my clubs and some were from others with whom I was playing.  For example, I saw a ball hit from a tee box hit the marker three feet in front of the golfer before bouncing back to hit that person in the chest.  That would be tough for the shot tracer to follow.

I also witnessed someone hit a ball from the third tee box, hitting a top height of about 3 feet before skipping two times.  The ball then hit the last rock framing the ladies tee box, go close to 100 feet in the air and fly about 150 feet backwards, over the lilac bushes and trees to the back left of the tee box.  It came to rest between the trees and the second green.  I am pretty sure the shot tracer would have a hard time with this ball flight.

There's actually a shot tracer app available for Android and Apple phones that is supposed to work fairly well.  Someone should try it and tell me how it works.

If you want to check out a funny video on the shot tracer topic, check out https://imgur.com/gallery/agTDLSr

No comments:

Post a Comment