Saturday, May 25, 2013

Windy Wednesday


It was a windy Wednesday for those that attended Mens' Night. I will get to that shortly...but first a few thoughts about today's weather.
 
Writing on this golf blog is sort of like golfing itself. Sometimes I am eager to do it and I put other things aside to make it a priority. On other occasions, it is something to do just to pass the time while I am waiting for something else. I hope today is the latter…although I need the weather to cooperate a bit.

This morning I woke up enthusiastically, albeit earlier than expected because my dog likes to mess with me. My enthusiasm was borne from the prospect of golfing all day. Then I just looked at the forecast for today, for tomorrow, and the next week. If you are prone to profanity, I would recommend not looking at the Environment Canada site for Shoal Lake while in the presence of children. I am now uncertain whether I should dig out my rain suit for some golf or perhaps get some lumber and start building an ark.

I guess my enthusiasm can shift to our next Mens’ Night, when potentially our friends and neighbours in the farming and agricultural business might be able to join us.

Or, I can enthusiastically look back to this past Wednesday, when we had 23 golfers out for Mens’ Night.  On an extremely windy evening when the low round was just 41, only three skins were won.  Phil Ostash and I claimed $20 on #1 while Scottie Maynes and Milt teamed up for two winners ($21 on 5, $20 on 7).  Mr. Maynes had good fortune all around, hitting it closest to the pin on #5 and splitting the $34.50 deuce pot with Jamie McCutchin. The other closest to the pin was recorded by Brad Benton on #9, putting it to inside of three feet before missing the birdie.

This week, I had the pleasure of golfing with Jamie, Brad, and Garry Williamson, who apparently had to come out to deter Benton from heckling him. We golfed behind four Ostash’s. I was impressed with the care and time that each of those four took in lining up every putt, no matter how short. I mistakenly thought slow, deliberate golfing was a Milt thing. Now I understand that it is a family trait.

No comments:

Post a Comment