Friday, June 27, 2014

Up yours Mother Nature!

Today is the first day of summer vacation for students and teachers. We really have not had a summer-like day yet for Mens' Night.  On Wednesday, 26 golfers came out for another overcast, cool, and misty evening.  I write this after just checking the online weather forecast which shows a two-day rainfall warning. I suppose we can be optimistic for next week because it is always nice weather in July...isn't it?

While the intent of this blog is to write about Mens' Night, it increasingly seems like a weekly weather report...frequently bemoaning the less than ideal conditions for our Wednesdays. I guess the relevance is obvious because golf and the weather are obviously connected. It doesn't necessarily mean that good weather makes for good golf and bad weather for poor golf. However, better conditions definitely allow for more enjoyable evenings.  So far this year we have had seven Mens' Nights. We maybe had one in which you didn't need gloves or a touque or rain gear or a storm shelter.

I generally try to be fairly accepting of things. Typically, I am as optimistic as most people. But this has got to stop soon because it is starting to wear on me. I think my goal going forward is to stop acknowledging the weather in the blog for the rest of the year. To challenge myself to do this, I will say that there will be a prize for the first person to notice me slipping back into weather reports in future columns. If you catch me doing it again, Jason Gorrell will buy you a drink of your choosing. Thanks of course to Jay for sponsoring this important community service initiative.

This week, skins went on four holes. The big winners of the night were Hubey and Neuf who combined for $120 winning #7 and 8. Ryan Merasty and Stephen David won $65.50 for #4 while Dave Gill and Cubby cashed in for $20 on #5.

Ryan Merasty got his third closest to the pin of the year on #9 while Neuf was closest on the par 3 fifth hole. As was the case last week, neither they nor anyone else made a deuce. So if anyone gets a two on a hole next week it should be worth around $125.

There are two new links on the left of this page. One provides an overview of our Horse Race tournament which is scheduled for July 19th. The other has the list of people who have registered for the event to date. If you would like to get involved, call or text me at 847-0161 or send me an email at sdavid@mts.net

Stay dry and best of luck for a break in the weather at some point in the weekend. Remember bad weather always looks worse through a window.

No comments:

Post a Comment