Tuesday, September 25, 2012

One for the history books...


Usually, writing the blog is fun. Even though I know it isn't widely read, I actually enjoy doing the recap of the previous Mens' Night. While it is fun to occasionally have someone mention something that they read, the reality is I get enough satisfaction out of the writing that I don't really care if it is seen by many.

Some times, however, when I get busy with other things, writing the blog is a bit of a chore. I end up dreading having to do it a bit...pushing it until the Tuesday before golf before I complete it because of some weird sense of responsibility. I even have to talk myself into believing someone is waiting for it...lest I simply say the hell with it. Tonight, this was almost the case.

I have decided that I am no longer simply the blogger for Mens' Night...I am now the self appointed historian. Twenty five years from now, when someone gives a 75 year old Brad Benton heck for hitting from the red tees, people will be able to look back to the blog to see that the rule for the red tees is 90 years and over. When a young man by the name of Dustin Gorrell gets teased for his crazy slice, people can check the blog to read how his old man was the same way back near the turn of the century. When Nathan Maynes comes home from university for one night and wins a few skins, everyone will remark how his dad could likely wheel himself out of Morley House and still kick his ass. When old man Derhak gives some golfers a ride home 25 years in the future, he will likely tell them stories of how he used to do the rounds of town after poker, dropping off the late nighters. An eighty year old Wes Arnfinson, riding shotgun, will confirm this. When one of Blake Cramer's sons brags about winning a $200 skin, someone will tell him old Mr. Kimpinski won $212 once.

So tonight I am not writing a blog, I am writing another chapter in the Mens' Night history book. Let it always be remembered, that one September 19, 2012, Blake Cramer won a $63 deuce pot after hitting it close on #9.  Earlier, Sport hit the closest to the pin on #4. Also, never forget that on the same night, six skins were won, including Neuf and Dale ($20 on #1), Ronnie and Jason Hunter ($39.50 on #2  $105 on #8), Scott Maynes and Benton ($31 on #3, $31 on #6), and Murray and Blake ($20 on #9).

May they also remember the following week (tomorrow night), when all the farmers were done and the weather was sunny and in the 20's, when Mens' Night had the best September turnout ever. So it is written...so let it be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment