Friday, June 3, 2011

Mens' Night...finally!

I am sure it has been wetter at some point in the history. But the wettest conditions that I have ever seen while golfing were those that existed on Wednesday. There were new water hazards all over the course, with creeks on #1 and # 2 and an ever-growing lake on #3. The fourth hole was a swamp from tee to pin, and both par 3 holes had island-like greens. Golfers all over the course watched tee-shots plug while planning careful paths to avoid bogging down their carts.  Profanities filled the evening air as player after player watched balls sail off into trouble after swings that produced foot-long chunks of saturated sod.

Now for those of you who are farmers, I clearly understand that there are more serious things being impacted by the weather than golf.  For you, I offer both my condolences and my wish for a turn of fortune.  That being said, for someone like Neuf, golf is likely the only thing that gives him pleasure in life.  It is for the Neufs of the world that I fear the most.

On a positive note, it was the first Mens' Night of the year. Twenty-six golfers braved the conditions and appeared to be still relatively happy at the end of the round. The low score of the night went to Brad Benton with a 37 followed closely by Scott "The Teacher Guy" Maynes with a 38.  We started the Ringer Board again, with Mr. Maynes already adding birdies for holes #1, 6, and 8. Two of nine skins went with Luke Funk and Wes Arnfinson taking #2 for $20. while Robin Kimpinski and Dyson Solomon won $28.00 on #8.  Robin also won a Shur Gro gift certificate for being closest to the pin on #5.  Milt begged me to mention that Robin's shot was barely an inch closer than that of a playing partner.  I note this reluctantly…especially given that Benton begged me not to mention Milt. The closest on #9 was Jason Neufeld, which briefly gave him joy...until he looked down at the cast on his foot and lamented the recent loss of some of his toe nails.

As much as it pains me to say it, the long range forecast for this coming Wednesday doesn't look overly promising...11 Celsius and rainy.  However, there is always cards…and maybe a hockey or basketball game on TV.  Even if there is no golf, you need to at least get the chips out.  I have a meeting and will not get there until 10:00 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment