Wednesday, June 15, 2011

How much rain is too much rain?

I know that there are rivers and lakes of water on the golf course.  I also realize that it is raining outside right now.  I understand that the fairways and greens are waterlogged to the point that golf carts would be not permitted to run.  However, I am still bummed out that Mens’ Night is canceled today.

Some people look forward to the weekend.  Others look forward to special events such as birthdays, graduations, and weddings.  I look forward to Mens’ Night.   So when I got the text message today that tonight was canceled, I deleted it right away in hopes that doing so would make it untrue.  Unfortunately that didn’t work.

Being the optimist that I am, my mind quickly tried to make the best of it.  I imagined a fun evening in which everyone who had planned on golfing would come to watch the hockey game together, eat some chicken wings, and perhaps play some cards afterwards.  I even texted the idea to someone.  Unfortunately, the response I got wasn’t the one for which I was hoping.  Given the decision to shut down Mens’ Night, it was also decided that this would be a good evening to shut down the golf course and club house early.  Now the logical part of me thinks this is a good idea. I know that Butch and his crew put in long hours and they are doing a great job this year.  I also appreciate that it is reasonable to close down early when the weather is as poor as it is. However, the irrational part of me that looks forward to Wednesday evening thinks this all sucks. 

I also wanted to do a US Open pool tonight given that it starts tomorrow.  Maybe we will try something next week…although it may be harder to generate excitement for a draft for the Travelers’ Championship.

I know most of us will be watching Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.  However, if you are like me and will be experiencing Mens’ Night withdrawal, I offer some suggestions for things that you can do at home to bridge the gap.   For example, I plan on eating my supper out of a basket…and tipping my wife very well when she brings it to the table.  In between periods, I may play some Wii golf with my eight year old daughter for $10 skins.  I will also heckle her errant shots and snake her if I think she might three putt.  Occasionally, I will look to my left and say “Who the hell is Milt talking to?”.  I may also ask my daughter to occasionally stand beside the TV so I can pretend to shank the odd shot toward her.  In this instances, I will yell “Duck Neuf!” and hope that she understands that I am talking to her.  Finally, I may ask her to play cards until 12:30 am…although she doesn’t understand poker.  Oh well, late night Uno is better than nothing I guess.

Have fun next week…and the week after that.  I have a couple of previous commitments which require my attendance.  And if I could ask one thing of you, my fellow golfers, it would be this.  Please don’t win any of the big skins this month…so they will all be carried over and available when I return in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment