Sunday, September 10, 2017

Lost balls don't define a round

I don't like to look for golf balls.  I lose my fair share but I can't really be bothered looking for them.  I usually take the perspective that if I hit one in the bush or water the penalty is fair.  I either hit a provisional or take a drop if it is appropriate to do so.

Some people seem to love looking for a missing ball.  Often they have a good round going and feel that if they just find that one ball the universe will align and their perfect play will be sustained.  Frequently, these aren't always the best golfers.  Instead, they are people who play expensive golf balls.

I hit new golf balls, but moderately priced new golf balls.  I can understand why it is hard for someone to stop looking for a $6 Pro V1.  I also know it is much easier to give up on the $1 balls that fill my bag.

The impact of the loss of a golf ball seems to be compounded for those that hate to lose a single ball.  They look a little longer than they should and it frustrates them.  Usually they haven't even hit a provisional so they end up making that long trek back to the tee box to hit another.  Frequently, the next one isn't much better.

The lost ball stays with some people longer than it should.  They are tight on the next tee box, still thinking about that shot that went astray.  They lament how those one or two unlucky shots ruined their score.

The loss of a beloved ball is hard on others in the group.  They have to wait until their playing partner finally gives up the desperate search.  They stand by their own ball while that guy goes back to rehit.  And they often get to hang out with someone who talks about that bad hit for longer than they should.

Giving up on a lost ball doesn't mean that you also give up on your round.  In fact, moving on quickly seems to free you up to play more loosely and with more joy. On Wednesday I lost three balls. All were completely my fault.  Two were dead from the club face so no search was required.  One seemed good off the tee but I hit a provisional just in case.  I drove up and my first shot wasn't where I though it should be.  I scanned the edge of the bush quickly before jumping into my cart and heading over to my provisional.

I had three bad holes on a pretty good round.  More than usual but not life ending. Even better, I finished just in the high pot and ended up winning three skins when I paired with the low score of the night.

Those three skins were on #4, 6, and #7.  Thanks to Robin Kimpinski for the help in winning a shared $77.50.  I also had a couple of other holes that went okay and we pushed those so no one got the skins.  On one of those holes I should have lost a ball but it hit a tree and came back into play.  You take the good bounces with the bad and simply hit the next shot.  The only other win of the night was Ian Paterson and Wes Arnfinson who made $20. from #8.

Closest to the pins on #5 and 9 were Scott Martin and Blake Hunter.  There were no deuces.

Numbers were still down due to the farmer still being busy.  Hopefully some get finished soon so we get even more people enjoying the great weather forecasted for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment