Saturday, August 13, 2016

Olympic Golf...not a big fan


I just watched some Olympic volleyball. I have been following swimming including the multiple medal performance of Canadian Penny Oleksiuk. I will try to catch Usain Bolt tomorrow evening in the 100 metre final. I have even watched some diving and a little gymnastics. But I could care less about the golf.

Maybe it is because a lot of the big names have opted out. Maybe it's due to it being a new sport in the Games. Maybe it's because it is not really a team format. I'm not sure. I just could care less.

There are lots of neat stories happening throughout the Games but nothing is really coming from golf. Maybe if Ricky Fowler walked into a sofa in a bunker...I would be more interested. Or if all of a sudden then greens turned red from too much fertilizer. I would definitely tune in then.

Right now it seems like it will be either Henrik Stenson or Justin Rose will get  the gold.  I guess I am sort of cheering for Bubba Watson. By cheering I mean hoping that he does terribly tomorrow and drops from fourth to about 15th. The final round is tomorrow but I would rather be golfing than watching this on TV.

There were 33 golfers this past week. That's six more than 27 which is how many Olympic medals Michael Phelps has in his career.

The gold medallist for Mens' Night was Robin Kimpinski who carded a 34. That was the first medal for Ipswich during these Games. They were in the field for the Jack and Jill on Thursday before Tracy unexpectedly dropped out of the competition.

Skins went on four holes. Winners included Blake Hunter / Joel Ostash ($20 on #2), Stephen David / Dave Gill ($27.50 on #5), Sonny Blackbird / Barry Twerdun ($20 on #7), and Robin Kimpinski ($67.50 on #8 all by himself).  Robin's big win allowed him to jump to first in the season money list, just slightly ahead of Blake Hunter.

Closest to the pins were Dave Gill on #5 and Terry Brandon on #9. Both converted their deuces to share the $49.50 deuce pot.

There were no hole in ones at Mens' Night. There have been two at the Olympics this week.

There are only two more weeks remaining to post ringer board scores.  Any holes not locked in by the end of the evening on August 24th will be recorded as triple bogies.

Have fun this week. I will be in Hecla for the second time this summer. I think Maynes and Gorrell are away as well...so someone please help Dan Stokes do the cards and prizes.


No comments:

Post a Comment