Thursday, July 23, 2015

The Happy Golfer

There are three things that matter in golf...where you play, how you play, and who you play with...and the first two don't matter.

This quote is from the latest issue of Golf Digest which focuses on happiness. The basic premise of most of the stories and articles is that happy people enjoy golf more than unhappy people. That isn't necessarily an earth-shattering revelation, but it is still worthy of some reflection.

Many people who golf focus on imperfections. Bad lies, bad swings, bad shots, and bad scores fill their brains. Even when they golf relatively well they lament the one bad hole. Last night for example, I heard someone ask another how he played. "Terrible" was the response. You can imagine my surprise when I saw that person's card and noted that he had a 40 on the evening.

There are others that simply enjoy the chance to get out and golf and enjoy the outdoors. I heard one of these happier people describe their round as "lots of fun" last night. When asked how they played they said "really good". Imagine my surprise when I saw that person was just under 50.

The point of the opening quote is that golf should be more than just one's score relative to par. While we reward scoring in our mens' night format, the emphasis of the evening for most people is getting together with some friends and enjoying an evening chasing golf balls around the course. While I enjoy playing and would never turn down a skin, I am happiest when there are lots of guys out playing and having a good time.

I am happy to say that we had 42 golfers last night including a few new faces. I would bet that Mike Susinksi and Jamie McCutchin were happy when they hit it closest to the pins on #5 and 9 respectively. Mikey was likely doubly happy when he scored a two on the same hole and ended up splitting the $63 deuce pot with Brad Benton,

Brad seemed happy a little earlier when he cashed in for a $90 on #5 with Stephen David (that's me). Scott Maynes and Luke Funk appeared to smile when they won $56 on #4. Hubey was definitely elated when he won a $21 skin with Robin Kimpinski on #8. Derek Ostash was still okay when he won the $21 for hole 7 even after learning that his partner (Ervin W.) departed before signing the cheque.

I know that there are at least 40 people excited about the horse race on Saturday. We actually have 48 people signed up...so I am assuming 8 will be unhappy with the weather, the format, the food. their play, or some other aspect of the day. I hope they at least have the good fortune to have one or two happy people in their group.

In closing, I invite you to think about the recently painted deck at the Club House. Were you among the happy majority who was glad that the old, worn surface was refinished and who was grateful for the volunteers that did the work? Or, were you among the unhappy minority who didn't like the colour and complained to a friend about how the natural wood finish should have been maintained? I bet if you are in the first group you are generally a happy person. If you are in the second group, the converse is likely true.

See you Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment